When a child eats or drinks something he or she is not supposed to, it can be very alarming, especially if you are unsure of the substance's contents or how much they consumed. The most important step to take is to first get the item away from your child. Do not try to make your child vomit; this may cause more damage!

If Your Child Shows Minimal Symptoms, Call the Poison Center

Call the poison center first at 1-800-222-1222 if your child is experiencing no or minimal symptoms. The poison center will be able to tell you the next steps to take to care for your child.

If Your Child Has More Severe Symptoms, Emergency Care May Be Necessary

Dial 911 for immediate medical care if your child's ingestion is accompanied by any of the following:

  • The swallowed object has blocked the windpipe
  • Loses consciousness
  • Experiencing seizures or convulsions
  • Your child looks ill or in pain

If the object or liquid was in a container, bring it with you to the pediatric ER so our team can determine the dosage that was ingested.

Keep Medications and Household Products Out of Reach of Children

To avoid accidental ingestion of medications or household products, always make sure cabinets that contain cleaning products and medications are locked and out of your child's reach. Also, ensure that all visitors keep their medications, including over-the-counter drugs, out of reach.

Our pediatric ER is close to home and able to treat your child if they swallow something that is not food. The Children's Hospital at TriStar Centennial strives to beat the national average wait time, so you can get quick access to high-quality, pediatric emergency care.